Skip to main content
We're down a little in weight to 295, but her personality is truly shining through finally so I'm not as worried. She's showing a good amount of interest in food in the last couple days and that's a big change, her asking for food and wanting me to share what I have again is a huge improvement. I'm hoping it will show in her weight in the next few days. I've been working quite a bit this week so I'm sure that isn't helping, however I do come home on my lunch hour and syringe feed her as well as Calypso. She has been taking a good 15 ml the last two days so I'm happy with that as well. Next week I have four days off in a row so I think it will help and I truly hope we make an up swing in her weight. She is also getting more and more new feathers in and it is just truly amazing to see them stay fully intact. I'm so excited to see her in the next couple of months and finally be a fully feathered and happy girl. I'm so happy to have been introduced to this and even though it has been a very scary few weeks, sticking with it is truly paying off and seeing her finally balance out and bounce back to her regular self is making it all worth it. Thankfully I have had great help and guidance through all if this and was briefed on how it would go before hand. This is why I'm doing this, so others know what you may go through. It is so important to not just give up at the first bump, it does take time to adjust the dosage to fit your bird and to let your bird get use to the side effects and level out to see how it will truly be on the medication. I'm still in the trial phase and working things out for her, so you see it's been weeks and I'm seeing results already and having issues, but working through them and seeing that they are things that absolutely can be worked through. So this is truly a medication you have to give a good commitment to, like 2-3 months of a commitment without giving up, making adjustments and accommodations for your bird during this time is something you have to truly expect and think about when deciding to do this. It's why I took so long to think about doing this before I made my decision. It's best to have someone who has been through this that you can talk to, because my vet as wonderful as she may be I am her first patient on this so she had no experience with it. I'm working very closely with Don from The Chloe Sanctuary who has all the cockatoos he has taken in on this medication. So he has much experience with going through it, plus has learned everything from Dr. Jenkins which is the vet who came up with the protocol. So I feel lucky, and in great hands to be able to ask him questions and defer to him about how to deal with issues.
I also know this is something I will be keeping Puff on for the rest of her life, as this has been a lifelong issue for her. There are some circumstances where it doesn't become a forever thing, or only seasonal. There is just so many things which is why it is so important to discuss all of this with a good avian vet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OK,  well no weight loss or gain,  either way that is quite the improvement. She is being a bit more lively and fiesty today as well. I asked her to step up and she gave me one foot and not the other, and chose to bite my finger. Not hard but enough to let me know she had an opinion about me moving too fast for likeness. It may not seem like much but to me it is huge, she is alert enough to not just comply with whatever and let me know she was unhappy about something. This is not something I have seen since starting this process and until it happened I didn't even realize it was missing. So making this little change seems to have made a big difference. Now let's get that weight back up! She did take a few bites of her favorite fruit today, banana, well second favorite, grapes are #1 but mainly for the juice so the banana actually gives her more. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now that I've seen some natural behaviors come back. I know this is not something that is ea
So I've been giving Puff the 1/1 mixture at 05 ml for a week now. She has some new feathers, so all I can do is watch and see. Her personality is in full bloom, she's still the picky eater I know her to be. With me giving her hand feeding formula twice a day, fresh foods and her daily nuts and pellets her weight is staying steady at about 315 grams.
OK, she weighed in at a big 'ol 299 today!  She's getting more of her personality back as well. Telling me no more often, which is always OK, and I'm glad to see her doing again. However I've noticed her desire to be close to me much more, choosing to sleep on me and when I try to put her into her cage at night after our cuddles, she really tries to cling to me. She's finally showing more interest in foods as well, so hopefully this keeps going.